Specialized 2017 Sequoia
The long wait for the return of the Specialized Sequoia is over! The new version of this popular bike enhances Specialized’s line-up of adventure road bikes.
For those old enough to remember, the Specialized Sequoia first hit roads in the early 1980s as a traditional touring bike. It was made of steel and ready for long distances. The bike was built to handle the weight of panniers. The frame had a more relaxed geometry than traditional racing road bikes. In other words, the handlebars were higher in relation to the seat making the biker’s riding position more vertical.
As mountain biking grew more popular, touring road bikes started to disappear. Since the 80’s the Sequoia line was discontinued more than once. But go-anywhere road bikes have come back strong in the last couple year. These adventure bikes are hardier than the touring bike and are designed to handle almost any terrain. Enter the Specialized 2017 Sequoia!
The new version of Sequoia has some awesome features that make an incredibly versatile bike.
- The Specialized Hover Bar with a 20mm of rise allows the geometry of the bike to be more responsive while allowing for a more neutral riding position on the bike.
- The 42mm 2bliss ready Sawtooth tire which rolls well on pavement – about the same feel as a 32mm tire – while still stable and grippy when you go off the pavement and onto the gravel and rocks.
- Thru axles in the front and back for responsive handling.
- Size specific Steel tubing allows for the frame to be built for the specific biker-size giving you the best ride possible.
- A full selection of rack, fender, and bottle mounts including multiple options on the fork.
- The Burra Burra bag collection from Specialized was designed in conjunction with the Sequoia for a full line of bags to carry all of the necessary gear for your adventure.
Who is the Sequoia for?
The Sequoia is perfect for the rider who wants to be able to go anywhere. It was developed to fill the needs of the Adventure rider but the things that it offers translate to a large segment of riders. It can just as easily handle a 600 kilometer brevet or a daily commute through the city.
Where does the Sequoia fit in the lineup of Specialized Adventure Bikes?
The Sequoia fits between the AWOL and the Diverge. It is lighter and it has a more responsive geometry than the AWOL. It has more tire clearance and rack options than the Diverge.
Because of its history, there was a lot of anticipation for this bike. The Specialized 2017 Sequoia lives up to the hype and we think you’ll agree. Swing by your local ERIK’S to test ride this awesome bike.